Aim of this Wiki Project
Update the entire Squad Wiki to the current version of Squad. We will primarily focus on v10.0 (and any smaller revisions following soon after), but we will also include all those releases that are still missing from the wiki (see column "Wiki Update = yes, ??? or started" on the Release Versions).
- 2018-02-05: Squad version 10.0 was released.
- 2018-02-08: Created the wiki project page. More details will follow soon-ish.
- 2018-03-02: Squad version 10.1 was released.
- 2018-03-07: Added #Workflow for entire updating process. Anyone feel free to help out, there is loads to be done.
- 2018-03-22: Finally we are making some progress. Sweet.
- 2018-04-03: Squad version 10.2 was released.
Yes, this will be a huge task, so every helping hand is appreciated. And we will try to go through it in a structured and systematic way. For the very first time.
Below are listed all the changelogs that need to be transfered into the wiki; changelogs that don't affect the wiki have not been listed.
Let's try the following workflow:
- From section #Not yet finished, pick a changelog line you want to work on. Update the wiki according to the changelog. Maybe more than one page will be affected by one changelog line - so you have to know the wiki pages to find all the places that might need updating. If unsure, ask Usgu. Also, apply some thought how and where to best include the new information on the wiki.
- When you are done, move the changelog line to section #Already finished. Please also list the wiki pages you have updated for this changelog.
- If you find changelog line does has no effect on the wiki, just remove the line entirely. I combed through the changlogs to eliminate those, but maybe I have missed some.
- When we have transfered all changelogs, we are done and the wiki should be up-to-date with the current version of Squad and we can move on to other business (see task sheet).
Not yet finished
- Added the ZU-23 twin barreled 23mm Anti Aircraft emplacement as a deployable for both Insurgents and Militia. For this release it features High Explosive rounds. It is limited to 1 per FOB and costs 400 construction points to build. It costs 100 ammo points to reload.
- A new UI Widget has been created for approving and declining Vehicle Claim requests. Doing it now should be a lot easier with a simple Yes/No hotkey. -> Vehicle Claiming
- Installed Mods are now viewable while in the Main Menu. --> Playing a Mod
- The Main Menu has been completely redesigned from scratch. --> Main menu
- Server Queueing is now much less intrusive, allowing you to look around and work in the Main Menu while you are queueing for a server. --> Server browser
- Music player has been added to the Main Menu, featuring the entire Squad Original Soundtrack. --> Main menu
Kits and Weapons --> Using weapons and equipment
- Inventory changes allow for you to cancel the equipping/reloading of a weapon and to select another weapon extremely quickly. This gives players much more freedom and responsiveness when using their inventory.
- Certain weapons now have the ability to transition seamlessly between one another. This includes switching ammunition types for Underbarrel Grenade Launchers and the RPG7, and transitioning between rifles and UGLs.
- A vast majority of weapons now have the ability to adjust their sights to shoot at different ranges. (Default: X + Scroll Wheel) This includes grenade launchers, rocket launchers and rifles. Certain optics as well have the ability to be adjusted, like the M110 SASS' scope, and the SVD's PSO-1 scope.
- Deployable Bipods have been added to all Light Machine Guns (LMGs) and General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs) (Default: C). Bipods will allow machine gunners to set up on positions and put down a large volume of fire with terrifying accuracy. Bipod can be deployed on virtually any surface, including other players! (so as long as they don't move)
- The length of your weapon also now plays a factor in how you maneuver through tight spaces and fire from cover. When you are too close to an obstacle or a surface, your weapon will be forcibly lowered and you will be prevented from firing and aiming down the sights. This naturally depends on the weapon in question, so bringing a long marksman rifle into small spaces is ill advised, whereas pistols will have a natural advantage in these tight spaces.
- Changes to AAS flag capture mechanics, where non-capturable flags will no longer be blockable by the enemy. For example: if one soldier is in the capture zone of their team's first flag and nine enemies are in that cap zone as well trying to block it, the flag will still be captured. Once they find him and kill him, the flag will (obviously) stop capping. This should severely reduce the "Rush Flags" meta, and shift the focus more towards the linear progression of moving from flag area to flag area, as well as having a proper supply train with FOBs and logistics. Blocking a flag is technically still possible if you eliminate the entire attacking force, but it will require more resources to do and is more likely to fail. --> Advance and Secure
- A new 3-minute "Staging Period" has been added before matches. During this time, you can spawn in at your team's Main Base or forward spawns, organize your squads, roles, get to your vehicles and prepare to move out. However, you are unable to leave the Main Base and spawn area until the timer has fully elapsed. To prevent griefing issues, you cannot fire your weapons during the staging period. --> Game Modes
- Entering or exiting vehicles and switching seats inside vehicles is no longer instant. The duration depends on the vehicle and the type of seat. This greatly reduces the effectiveness of soloing vehicles when a vehicle is flanked or ambushed. Either it will not be able to drive away or it won't be able to return fire instantly. --> Vehicles
- Improvised Rocket Artillery Technical's respawn timer has been reduced from 15 to 4 minutes.
- SPG-9 technicals has had their respawn timers reduced from 8 to 6 minutes.
- Insurgents has a Ural 375D that features a ZU-23 on the back of it. A slow glass cannon of a vehicle, best used at long range and ambushes. This gun also shoots high explosive fragmentation rounds for this patch. This vehicle costs 12 tickets upon destruction and has a respawn timer of 6 minutes.
- Insurgents and Militia now has a MTLB variant that features a ZU-23 mounted on the back. The vehicle also has the smaller PKT turret up front, making it a fun 3 man vehicle to fully operate. The ZU-23 like its deployable version comes with high explosive fragmentation rounds for this release and will be able to deal with hill campers and light vehicles in equal and swift fashion. The vehicle costs 18 tickets upon destruction and has a respawn timer of 6 minutes.
- Insurgents has a Ural 375D logistics variant in civilian colors on certain maps. --> no need to reflect this on the wiki
- All 14.5mm KPVT turrets found on (BTR, BRDM and MTLB variants) now has an elevation range from -5 degrees to +60 degrees. This drastically changes its ability to engage from sloped surfaces. (Was previously -3 to +35) --> no need to reflect this on the wiki
- Improvised Rocket Artillery Technical has had its wounding radius increased slightly. Furthermore its rearmament cost has been cut in half. --> no need to reflect this on the wiki
Gameplay - Logistic Systems -> Logistic Systems
- Logistics trucks works slightly differently and comes with some new functionality. The driver of the truck can now decide what he wants to carry, and how much (up to the vehicle's capacity). A conventional army logistics truck can carry a combined 2000 resources and a logistics technical can carry a total of 1000 resources. This means that a traditional logistics truck can carry 2000 construction points and 0 ammo points if it wanted to. You could just as easily carry 1500 ammo points and 500 construction points, it really depends on what the situation calls for.
- To drop off supplies, use (Default: LEFT MOUSE BUTTON); and to pick up supplies use (Default: RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON).
- Furthermore, logistics trucks now has the flexibility to load up supplies from a FOB and redistribute it elsewhere, making it possible to salvage some resources from an obsolete FOB or run strategies where you create a supply hub FOB that other logi trucks pick up from. Rest assured that there will be more development on this feature in the future.
Gameplay - FOB -> FOB
- When deploying a FOB Radio it now starts with 0 construction points and 0 ammo points. The cap for ammo points has been increased to 2000 (was previously 1000).
New Map: Belaya --> Belaya
- A new Eastern European themed map has been added to the game. This map also is set in a more frigid part of the continent, with light to medium snowfall happening on some map layers. A large tunnel complex part of an underground train line is located in the west of the map, creating some very intense CQB firefights in order to capture this facility. This map features a new weather system that is currently only on the snowfall layers of Belaya.
- Playable Layers include: 1 AAS layer, 1 Parallel AAS layer and 2 different Invasion layers
Map update: Narva --> Narva
- Map has been greatly expanded, almost doubling the playable area and adding 7 new flag zones.
- Opened up Russian side of river and created new main bases for US and Russia.
- Redesigned existing and created new gameplay layers.
Map update: Shooting Range --> Jensen's Range
- Changed the factions to feature US Army and Militia on this map so there is a larger pool of weapons to get familiar with.
- Overhauled the CQB Arena and added a lot of props and shoot-able metal drop targets, turning it into a Kill-House style zone.
- Added a grenade target structure to help players practice their grenade throwing into structures.
- Added a small 10m range behind the US Army spawn, with paper targets.
- Added the ZU-23 AA gun to the range.
Gameplay - movement --> Movement
- Vaulting and Climbing (Default: Spacebar) have been added as a new feature to the game. Vaulting will allow you to more quickly jump over small walls. Climbing will allow you to get over higher walls than was previously possible as infantry. This changes the playing field, as a simple rifleman's sandbag may be enough to scale a wall previously only accessible with a ladder. Another trick would be to use a vehicle or even another player as a booster which would allow you to climb over higher obstacles.
- "Free-Look" (Default: LEFT-ALT) has been added to all infantry weapons and equipment; as well as emplacements and open-top turret based weapons. This allows for the player to decouple their camera view from their weapon and look around without moving the entire player's body. There are options to configure this feature, including Hold/Toggle to activate; and whether to recenter the camera on to weapon or vice-versa upon exiting Free-Look.
- Crouch Sprinting is added to the game, meaning that you will be able to traverse distances with a lower profile, albeit at a slower pace than you would if you were standing up fully exposed.
- Transitions to and from prone have been lengthened to much more realistic levels. This is intended to make going to prone not the ideal movement option for engaging the enemy at extreme close range.
- You can now lean while in prone. This kind of lean involves moving your entire upper body to the side, so naturally you would lean out further.
Alpha 10.1 - Stamina --> Movement
- Vaulting, climbing and jumping now consume stamina in addition to sprinting and prone movement, which already did so previously
- The separate "jumping stamina" has been removed
- Low stamina will not prevent you from vaulting, climbing, jumping or sprinting
- Stamina below half will gradually decrease your movement speed until your sprint at 0 stamina is barely faster than normal movement at full stamina. This affects crouched and prone movement too.
- Weapon sway is still affected by stamina
Alpha 10.1 - Bug Fixes and Improvements
- Set Medic's field dressings to be 25% faster to apply compared to any other role --> Health Management
- All Mortars have access to Smokescreen mortar ammunition in addition to their normal complement of high explosive mortar rounds. These rounds provide a large smokescreen that lasts between 45 seconds to a minute, and are perfect for long-range suppression allowing for a large attack force to move on a position. --> Mortar
Alpha 10.2 - Bug Fixes and Improvements --> Kit Role Selection
- Changed the process of a kit becoming unavailable due to squad size falling below the player limit. Now your claim on the kit you had previously remains until you select a different one. Prevents other players from reserving kits by leaving and re-entering squads.
Kits and Weapons
- All binoculars now have a proper reticle with a stadiametric rangefinder which shows how tall a player is at those respective ranges in meters, aiding in judging distances. -> Binoculars
no need to change/already changed
Gameplay -> Deployables
- Due to the above changes, a number of deployable assets has received a reduction in construction costs such as HABs, Emplaced HMGs and Ammo Resupply Crates, as they relied heavily on assistance from those initial resources to get a FOB going.
Kits and Weapons
- All scope reticles' bullet drop compensators are now functional, we recommend doing some practice shooting on the Shooting Range to get acquainted. -> Weapons
- Replaced the AKS-74U with the AKS-74 as the Militia Light Anti-Tank kit's primary weapon to bring it in line with the other factions loadouts.
- Militia Grenadier kit now uses an AK-74 with GP-25 (was previously using AKM with GP25).
- Makarov and TT-33 pistols now have double the amount of magazines as they normally would to bring them to roughly the same amount of rounds as the double stack pistols. Note that the Scout kit no longer gets extra mags for his pistol beyond what other Makarov kits get.
- Added TT-33 pistol to Insurgents and Militia Squad Leader, Medic and Marksman roles, replacing the Makarov. -> Irregular Militia
- Insurgents get a Grenadier kit. This kit uses the AKM with GP25. This kit is limited to 3 per team, with one unlocking every 10 players on the team. The limit is there to symbolize the rarity of the usage. The faction as a whole should still be heavily RPG reliant.
- The Insurgent Raider kit now features 2 additional 71 round drum mags that you can equip instead of your usual stick mags for those last stand or breaching moments.
- The Insurgents have had their Automatic Rifleman kits reorganized. The RPK-74 has been replaced with the RPK in its classic configuration using 40 round mags. Additionally the 40 round version now unlocks before the 75 round drum mag version does. -> Insurgents
- Added the RPG-26 to the first Russian Light Anti-tank role that unlocks.
- Russia's Light Anti-tank roles are now split into two. The first kit still unlocks at 4 squad members and contains 2 RPG-26's. These are comparable to the M72. The second LAT kit still unlocks at 8 squad members and has the RPG-7, but it now has 2 fragmentation rockets. -> Russian Ground Forces
- The US Army Squad Leader role now feature the M17 MHS pistol instead of the M9A1. All other US Army role that has a pistol still uses the M9A1.
- All US Army kits, with a few exceptions, now use the M4 rather than the M4A1. This replaces the fully automatic capability with a 3 round burst. This change is made to reflect the fact that not all units currently have the A1 as well as give them a distinct faction identity where they want to keep the fights at range for the most part.
- The US Army now has a new Automatic Rifleman kit with the M249 using a M145 3.4x scope.
- US Grenadier kit has iron sights instead of red dot. This is a temporary 'downgrade' because of the sight adjustment obstructions on the M203. (No longer accurate)
- US Army SL with front grip and Red Dot, Rifleman with Red Dot and Rifleman with Ironsight and front grip retains the M4A1, making them ideal for close quarters engagements in your squad load out. A kit should always be a choice depending on the needs of the mission. -> US Army
- All factions now has access to a Machine Gunner kit that is a Fire Support role and unlocks at 5 Squad Members. It is limited to a total of 4 per team and unlocks one kit per 10 team members. Machine gunner kits costs 50 ammo points to rearm at a FOB. -> Kit Role Selection -> Machine Gunner
- Machine Gunner kits are best suited as a support weapon in a static position. The kit has about 500 rounds of ammo appropriate for the weapon, as well as the standard sidearm for the faction, 1 white smoke grenade, 2 field dressings and a shovel. Combining the machine gunner kit with a rifleman's sandbags to deploy your bipods on and a Squad leader or Marksman to direct fire is a good setup, flavor your fire support squad with whatever other weapons systems you would want to provide overwatch with. -> Machine Gunner
- All factions now have their first unlocking Automatic Rifleman kit moved to the "Squad Roles" section. This should allow us to see more LMGs on the field without compromising what your squad role is supposed to be. The more powerful Automatic Rifleman kits of each faction is still a Fire Support Role that you will have to compromise other kits in favor of.
- Added binoculars to all Marksman kits. -> Kit Role Selection
- All infantry rifles with up to 30 round magazines has had an additional magazine added to the loadouts.
- All non-scoped Rifleman now carry a deployable length of razor wire, in addition to their sandbag walls. (No longer true)
- The M110 SASS has had its 4x scope replaced with the appropriate optic. It is currently set at a fixed magnification of 6x for the time being.
- Decreased the killing radius on the 40mm high explosive grenades significantly. You will have to be accurate with it to give you a kill. It is still just as potent for dislodging entrenched enemies. In addition to this change we feel like we can up the ammo carried from 6 to 10 40MM HE/HEDP rounds for all grenadier kits.
Alpha 10.1 - Bug Fixes and Improvements [SDK Exporter]
- Removed one BTR-82A from Narva AAS v1,v2 and v3
- Removed two M1126's and replaced one BTR-82A with one BTR-80 on Kohat AAS v2
- As a Squad Leader, you can now invite unassigned players into your squad.
- Added "Request Pick Up" to the SL hex menu.
- Added "Mine Spotted" to the SL hex menu.
- All weapon and equipment selection icons have been updated in visual style.
- Currently selected weapon and equipment names have been added above the reserve ammunition widget, telling you what you have selected at all times
Deployables -> Deployables
- Both the SPG-9 Emplacement and Mounted Technical variants have the option to choose between high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) and fragmentation rockets. Fragmentation rockets are suited for clearing groups of infantry and for shooting into confined spaces.
- Added a new wooden trench wall section to the Militia deployables. It costs 150 construction points and is limited to 10 per FOB.
- BTR-80, BTR-82A, MT-LBM 6MB, MT-LBM 6MA, BRDM-2 now has a coaxial PKT machine gun to better deal with infantry threats and general suppression of suspected enemy positions. Coaxial machine guns are available on the '2/3' inventory slots on applicable vehicles.
- MT-LBM 6MB and BTR-82A now also has access to high explosive rounds for their main guns, these are very effective at dealing with infantry behind cover and in buildings. HE is still effective vs most of the vehicles currently in game but if you are fighting an armored vehicle especially IFVs it is still most effective to use AP rounds. For the time being, the ammo capacity for each round type has been lowered to 100 rounds of AP and 100 rounds of HE to limit its staying power on the field. This will go back up when more assets are in game.
- BTR-80, BTR-82A, MT-LBM 6MB, MT-LBM 6MA, BRDM-2 and M1126 now have smoke launchers. A vehicle with smoke launchers carries 2 launches worth of smoke. It can be rearmed at the cost of 75 ammo points per charge to keep spamming down and to keep it a significant defensive ability.
- All MTLB variants now has the same damage model as the BTR-80. This is a temporary change for v10 only. Ticket cost has increased to reflect the buff - PKT:7, NSV: 11, KPVT: 16, 30mm: 21.
- BTR-80 and 82A variants now have a "Commander Periscope" (and thus an extra seat) like the BRDM-2 has. The goal is to one day roll this into the driver position, however for now there is an extra asset for the vehicle.