|This page is a Server Troubleshooting Issue|
This problem can be diagnosed via the following symptoms:
- The server does not show up in the Server browser
- The server can't be pinged on its port
- But the server logs show a normal boot
This problem could have multiple causes:
Ports not forwarded
The server cannot be reached because essential ports are not forwarded by your router.
You have to enable port forwarding for these ports. The necessary steps depend on your router hardware - it's higly recommended to check your router's manual.
In general, these steps might look like this:
- Open a web browser on your server
- Navigate to
- Login to your router's web interface
- Navigate to port forwarding
- Create rules for the game ports
Firewall blocking ports
The server cannot be reached because the firewall is blocking essential ports.
You have to set up exceptions for these ports in your firewall.
Linux (using UFW)
Create rules for the game ports:
sudo ufw allow 7787 && sudo ufw allow 7788 && sudo ufw allow 27165 && sudo ufw allow 27166 && sudo ufw allow 21114
sudo ufw reload
Linux (using IPTables)
Run the following commands:
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 7787 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 7788 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT sudo iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 27165 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --sport 27166 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --sport 21114 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
- Select the Start menu, type "Allow an app through Windows Firewall", and select it from the list of results.
- Select "Change settings". You might be asked for an administrator password or to confirm your choice.
- To add an app, select the check box next to the app, or select "Allow another app" and enter the path for the app.
- To remove an app, clear the check box next to the app, and then select OK.
Add to your run command:
--expose 7787-7788 --expose 27165 --expose 27166 --expose 21114
Add the following lines to your compose for the squad instance:
ports: - 7787:7787 - 7788:77788 - 27165:27165 - 27166:27166 - 21114:2111
Improper syntax in Server.cfg
The server cannot be reached because improper syntax in Server.cfg related to server name, visibility or other essential parameters prevents the server to be come fully functional and reachable.
Double-check Server.cfg syntax with an text editor:
- Fields like
ServerNameneeds " " (double quotes) to ensure server visibility goes up.
Shouldadvertisemust be set to true for it to populate the public list along with
isLANmatchset to false.
Server Steam update missing
Your server does not have the lastest Steam update for Squad and therefore your server does not show up in the Server browser.
(we still need to add instructions here)
- (no cross-links to other issues yet)