Wiki Task ID002: Improve Squad page[edit source]
Status: new[edit source]
Task Description[edit source]
This page really needs a proper rework. From a promotional (and new-player) point of view, this is one of the most important pages explaining newcomers what kind of game Squad is. Right now, this page is not only incomplete and completely outdated, it also sucks.
- 2018-01-09: Created the task description. More details will follow soon-ish.
- Look up game descriptions in other wikis and on Wikipedia, make notes here (will be useful in the future and for wiki task 003)
- Draft outline (offline)
- Draft text (offline)
- Polish text and put into the wiki page
- Select and add screenshots
- match length: small map (up to 45min), large maps (up to 1.5hrs)
Various Notes[edit source]
Sources for good screenshots to use:
I removed a lot of the dated and inappropriate content from the main page. This page only give a concise overview of Squad to readers who do not own Squad but want to know more about it. This page should not be a huge list of features or table of content for other wiki pages. Usgu (talk) 14:02, 20 August 2016 (UTC)
Removed content from the page and put it below (we might use some of it elsewhere or put parts of it back to the page later):
Game Modes[edit source]
Squad features a variety of objective game modes that promote teamwork and communication.
- Advance and Secure - A flag based attack and defend objective game mode where Control Points have to be captured and held in a certain order.
- Insurgency - Objective game mode where the BLUFOR needs to gain intel and destroy OPFOR caches
- Skirmish - A variant of AAS aimed at 20v20
- Territory Control - Game mode where BLUFOR has to capture Control Points from an unlimited spawning OPFOR force. Once a CP has been captured by the BLUFOR, it will stay permanently for their team.
Squad currently has 9 maps in Alpha V7, and 1 unreleased maps still in development. The locations are based around the Middle-East and Eastern Europe with support for map sizes up to 64km^2.
- Logar Valley
- Operation First Light
- Kohat Toi
- Sumari Bala
- Jensen's Range
- Fool's Road
- Fallujah West (WIP)
There are currently 4 factions featured in Squad with the British Army faction still a WIP.
The deployables let users place asset that control the tide of the battle. Deployables are faction specific and can greatly vary between different factions.
A Forward Operating Base (FOB) is a deployable static location that lets the players team spawn. A FOB and Supply Points are needed needed to place various different Deployables within the radius of the FOB. Currently, in Alpha v5, only a Squad Leader and the squad’s members are needed to place a FOB. In the future, this will be changed with the introduction of the Logistics System.
Rally Points (RP) is a squad-limited spawn location that requires a Squad Leader with the Squad Leader Role and two members of the squad to deploy. If the Squad Leader does not have the Squad Leader Role, he can place a rally with himself and 4 members of the Squad.
|Deployable||Forward Operating Base - Sandbags - Bunker|
|Emplacements||Heavy Machine Gun - ATGM - Anti-Air Battery - Mortar|
Squad’s Role system is based on the needs and want of the Team and the Squad Leader. Roles are limited based on the number of players on a team, and roles that are already in use within the Squad. In the future updates, the system will be updated to add a general team pool, where the amount of roles will be restricted on a team bias.
|Leader of a up to 9-member squad.|
|Rifleman/Fighter||Standard infrantry man equipped with an assault rifle.|
|Automatic Rifleman||Equipped with a light machine gun.|
|Medic||Equipped with a medical supplies to heal and revive players.|
|Grenadier||Equipped with grenade launcher.|
|Light Anti-Tank||Equipped with rocket launcher.|
|Marksman||Equipped with a sniper rifle.|
Weapons and Attachments[edit source]
Weapons and attachments will are limited based on your faction and role.
|Light Machine Guns|
|General Purpose Machine Gun|
|Designated Marksmen Rifle|
Attachments are currently Role and weapon specific. In the future, there will be an attachment system that will let users customize some elements of their weapon.
- IMMERSIVE, REALISTIC COMBAT. With advice from former and current service personnel, we aim to deliver a completely immersive combat experience like no other. You’ll hear the buzz of rounds pass nearby and almost feel the intense gut churning reality of combat.
- ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL. The base unit of Squad is not the individual, but the 9-man squad. Gameplay systems honed over years of experience with the Project Reality series draw the focus away from the lone-wolf player and much more on the cooperation with other members of your squad.
- OPEN, EXPANSIVE LEVELS. Most of our maps will come directly or be heavily inspired from real world locations through Geographic Information Systems (GIS) satellite data, where authenticity and total tactical freedom to roam will always be part of the game.
- MASSIVE 100 PLAYER SERVERS. 50 on 50, in countless squad combinations, all vying for control over an expansive battlefield.
- SCALABILITY. Squad can be enjoyed on a much smaller scale with more concentrated fighting areas and tighter player counts, but still offers the freedom, tactical maneuverability and opportunities for team-play that are the hallmarks of the game.
- KIT ROLE SYSTEM, be it a machine gunner, sniper, grenadier, APC-crewman, helicopter pilot, squad-leadership, construction engineer, medic, forward observer or even a plain old rifleman, every role has a part to play in the battle. This clear division of responsibilities greatly helps the experience as no one soldier can possibly do the job of an entire army. Personal progression is not measured by how shiny your weapon is, but how flexible you are in mastering all the different battlefield professions.
- PLAYER-DRIVEN SPAWN-POINT AND BASE-BUILDING, which makes the front-lines of every match a unique experience. Players who prefer to construct rather than destruct have the capability to build fortifications and strong points for the team, and often play as important if not greater role than the ones doing the shooting.
- LOGISTICS AND RESUPPLY SYSTEM, realised through your team's network of player-placed Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) and Rally Points (RPs) to support your front-lines. Whether its ensuring a clear path between your main base and your forward bases, or risking the gauntlet and delivering supplies by helicopter or truck, a supply system controls what weapons are available at your Forward Operating Bases, and even how much you can fortify your spawn points. Defending friendly and eliminating enemy Supply Lines, FOBs and RPs become just as important as putting troops into the Objective Zones on the map.
- COMBINED ARMS WARFARE. Join a tank crew, be an unstoppable force in a CAS helicopter with your co-pilot or even run logistics and build fortifications, there are many ways to make your mark on the battlefield. From grunts to motorcycles to APCs to attack helicopters and everything in between, we offer gameplay systems that make multilayered teamwork enjoyable and rewarding without the need to join private communities.
- REAL WORLD CURRENT TIME PERIOD FACTIONS, including regular and irregular forces. Meaning the inclusion of realistic tactics, weapons, accouterments, load-outs, vehicles, sounds and sights of war using highly accurate modelling accrued from our military advisors as well as years of experimentation and experience in the modding scene.
- BALLISTICS AND SIGHTS. Server side, simulated Newtonian physics with our custom physics engine code. From small arms to grenade launchers, mounted machine guns to dumb-fire rockets, we aim to have working sights that significantly up the level of immersion when it comes to firing your weapon.
- SIMULATED DAMAGE MODELS. Server side damage system where being shot means you're not going to be sprinting until treated by a medic, and a direct shot to your wheels means you're not going to be moving around until field repairs have been made.
- INTEGRATED POSITIONAL VOIP COMMUNICATION, no need for third party programs, we're using the most effective codecs in-game. Speaking to other squad leaders across the map, or even the man next to you couldn't be easier.
- ALL THE TOOLS NEEDED FOR INTRA-SQUAD AND INTER-SQUAD COMMUNICATION built into the game. In the last ten years, the industry has moved away from providing proper command and communication features available out of the box. Squad will fix this.
- TRUE FIRST PERSON CHARACTERS. (aka ‘body awareness’) character models, there won’t be walking gunheads here. Your first person movements will be the exact same as seen by other players in third person. There are no rigged 1P arms for your on screen infantry character, the entire character body is modeled and viewable at all times.
- A MEDICAL SYSTEM REFINED through 10 years of gameplay history. A revival system balanced to make medics and casualty evacuation an extremely critical part of the game, and with features like dragging coming to Squad, saving your buddy in the midst of battle is an experience like no other.
- ASSAULT AND SECURE, an objective zone based game mode that promotes a defined 'front-line' style of combat. The objectives also are regenerated every round, so no two sessions will ever play the same. We plan to have many more game modes to come!
- ADMINS SPECTATOR MODES AND OVERVIEW PANELS to allow administration teams the tools required to own, operate, and oversee their servers.
- REFINED MACHINIMA/FILMING TOOLS designed by film enthusiasts for ease of use, to allow for high quality machinima or gameplay videos.
- SUPPORT FOR MODDERS AND MISSION DESIGNERS FROM DAY ONE of retail release. The Squad developers are paying it forward and will provide reference and frameworks for hobbyist modders and mission creators, and paid commissions for qualified mod teams.
- SUPPORT FOR TEAM TOURNAMENTS AND LADDERS. Both large scale 50v50 matches for public and clan ladders, and 5v5 and 8v8 on specifically designed smaller maps, allowing tournaments that can take full advantage of the Unreal Engine 4 framework, animations, weapons and ballistics systems to challenge the competitive FPS standard for the last several years.
- A DEVELOPMENT PROCESS OPEN TO EARLY BACKERS having direct access to the Dev Team during testing sessions and monthly live-streams. This was a mainstay of our decade of modding, and we're adding live-streaming to show off the process as we go, and will continue to be a way for the community to get direct access to the game as it develops and evolves, and for the Devs to get in the trenches and have some fun and get feedback on the gameplay as we implement and test planned features.