Mortars are emplacements that allow squad's to provide indirect fire support.
|Users|| U.S. Army|
Russian Ground Forces
Middle Eastern Alliance
|Cartridge||High explosive, smoke|
Mortars are deployables limited to two mortars per FOB. See below table for the construction point costs based on the faction.
Mortars come with a 'magazine' of 3 rounds at the ready. Mortars can fire the following ammunition:
- High explosive rounds deal large damage at detonation. HE rounds are also able to damage or destroy deployables. (40 ammo points)
- Smoke rounds provide a large smokescreen that lasts between 45 seconds to a minute, and are perfect for long-range suppression allowing for a large attack force to move in on a position. (25 ammo points each)
The current set of mortars in Squad have about 1230m effective range on a level surface, you will have to migrate your fire support battery to a closer FOB if you cannot reach your target.
Tips: Using the WASD keys while aiming with the mortar will add/subtract 1 mil from your current angle or pivot slowly for more precise vectoring.
Factions have different models for Mortars but their fire rate appears to be the same.
- Introduced in v15, Mortars have been granted the ability to damage armored vehicles on direct or very close (<1.5m) hits. Unarmored vehicles now also take damage from indirect mortar hits. (Fragmentation damage.)
|Insurgent and Militia - M1937 82mm Mortar||U.S. Army and Canada - M252 81mm Mortar||Russia and MEA - Podnos 82mm Mortar||British Army - L16A2 81mm Mortar|
Setting the mortars correctly on target is very difficult to do by trial and error. Most players use web-based mortar calculators to get exact settings for their targets. Using the Steam overlay and browser, you can even do this from within the game.
- Squad Leaders can place the green 'Request Fire Mission' marker to communicate with mortar squads.
- Mortars were added in update Alpha 9.4