Russian Ground Forces
|Rate of fire||700 RPM|
|“||The AKS-74U is the extremely short carbine variant of the AK-74. Like its parent weapon, it is chambered in the smaller 5.45×39mm cartridge, but also has a slightly higher cyclic rate due to its shortened piston stock. This combined with its shortened barrel and lighter weight makes it not particularly accurate at longer ranges, However it is extremely handy in a pinch, particularly in close quarter battle situations.||„|
|~ In-game description|
The AKS-74U is a carbine variant of the AK-74. It was designed by renown Russian designer Mikhail Kalashnikov in 1979 to create a standard carbine for the Soviet Army. The AKS-74U was adopted mainly by Eastern European countries as its standard carbine and they are usually produced there. The firearm uses 5.45x39mm cartridges just like its parent.
It served as the standard carbine and personal defense weapon (PDW) of the Soviet Army from 1979 to 1991 and is still used by the Russian Ground Forces since 1991 to the present.
The AKS-74U is superficially a shortened AK-74. However, the AKS-74U includes features that the standard AK-74 does not have: a metal folding stock, a 206.5 mm length barrel, shortened piston stock, new muzzle brake to compensate shortened barrel, a 160 mm barrel twist, new sights with preset for 350 and 500 meters, and a dust cover attachment on the front end. Other changes include the gas chamber being moved closer to the rear end of the receiver and the removal of the rate of fire delay mechanism. The shortened piston stock helped increase the carbine's RPM rate of fire to 700. The firearm can hold optical sights and a grenade launcher as well.
- The AKS-74U magazine holds 30 rounds.
- Can be fired on semi-automatic and automatic.
- The AKS-74U is used by the Irregular Militia and Russian Ground Forces Crewmen.
- Automatic fire is very controllable in short bursts. This makes it very effective at close range.
- The abbreviation AK from AKS-74U stands for Avtomat Kalashnikova (Автомат Калашникова) which means in English from Russian, "Kalashnikov automatic rifle". 74 stands for the year the AKS-74U's parent, the AK-74, was designed, which was 1974. The S in AKS-74U stands for Skladnoy (складной) which means 'folding' in Russian. This is due to the AKS-74U's folding buttstock. The U in AKS-74U stands for Ukorochenniy (укороченный) which means 'shortened' in Russian. This is due to the AKS-74U being a shortened AK-74 and that carbines are usually shortened rifles.